the beading loom

I'm sharing another piece of history here, be aware!
If you're wandering why I'm such a crafty person, well the answer is: it's in the DNA.

If you want to see my dad happy... take him to hardware store. The bigger, the better (because yes, size does matter sometimes).

Today I'm proudly showing the beading loom that my dad made in 1977 :)
Exactly 3 pieces of wood, 6 nails, 2 screws, 4 bolts, and wood glue.
(btw, I looked up online and looms retail for about 38$?? are you serious??)

This loom has traveled with me for so many summers and has seen lots of different styles beaded into itself, and I know it feels weird, but brings back so much memories... yes, it's beaten up, not high tech, but you know what?

It still meets the standards!

inspiration&realisation
When I was little, loom bracelets were very popular.
Yes: just like today.
Because fashion is just about that thermodynamic law: 
energy can neither be created nor destroyed: it can only be transformed.

The come backs of the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's... if you have some wrinkles around your eyes you know it's nothing new under the sun.

A bit of beading-fashion recap:
- there was the summer when the IT thing was a beaded bracelet with your name,
- then the summer when it was all about the neon colors (yes, nothing new, again),
- and the summer that you were nobody if you didn't have the bracelet with flowers,
- and the tribal native american patterns,
- and next yes, you are hearing this well there it was, the summer of chevron stripes (that of course wasn't call chevron in Italy - it was just zig-zag)

inspiration&realisation
See that? Looks like I started being OCD quite early!
It says:
bracelets 45 columns
necklaces 93 columns
rings 21 columns

So... if you like Chan Luu bracelets, well I made these first, because yes, I'm older than he.

Looks like I'll get this "antique" baby to work again :)

Thanks for reading another piece of history!

xox, d.

will link to these parties *<:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment